Top Home Fryer For French Fries
When it comes to deep fat frying, there is perhaps no more popular ingredient than the humble chip. In all of its forms, from the chunkiest wedge to the thinnest french fry, the chip finds its way into fryers worldwide. For that reason, we’ve compiled the best deep fat fryers for cooking potatoes to absolute perfection.
Why should you deep fry chips & chicken?
The easiest way to make perfect chips is by using a deep fat fryer. Such appliances submerge the potatoes in hot oil, intensely frying every surface and, if done well, producing fluffy interiors and crispy exteriors. Whilst there are other methods for cooking chips, such as roasting, by far the fastest and most efficient is a few minutes in a deep fat fryer. It may be less healthy, but we all deserve a treat now and again – don’t we?
For the chicken, well; who doesn’t love fried chicken?
What to look for in a fryer for chips?
The deep frying alternative to using a proper fryer – namely, filling a pan full of oil – is rather unpredictable and often leads to hot oil bubbling and spraying all over the place. For that reason, deep fryers are a far safer and cleaner option. Below are the most important factors to consider when looking for a deep fat fryer for chips.
- What is the capacity? Whilst they’re present in practically every fast food joint on the planet (and many sit-down restaurants too), lots of people buy deep fat fryers for home use. With that in mind, it’s crucial to consider how much oil and food a fryer can safely hold in order to work out how many people you can cook for at once.
- What are the temperature regulation controls? Considering the alternative to using a deep fryer is simply using a pan full of hot oil, which can be unpredictable and even dangerous, it’s a good idea to check how easily you can adjust oil temperature. This will ensure you don’t overcook or undercook ingredients, allowing you to accurately and safely serve perfectly-fried food every time.
- How much does it weigh? Whilst with home deep fryers like the ones mentioned this is less important, it’s useful to check how heavy a fryer is. Such a factor may impact how easily you can empty the fryer of oil once it needs changing.
- Does it have easy-cleaning options? One of the most laborious domestic chores is washing up, especially when the objects that need cleaning are intricate or have areas that are tricky to wash properly. Deep fat fryers are certainly harder to clean than plates and bowls, but many come with features that make the washing up process much easier.
With this in mind, take a look at our top picks for the best deep fat fryers for chips below.
The Best Buy
Tefal Oleoclean Pro Fryer
Well-known cookware brand Tefal have knocked it out of the park with this compact and efficient deep fat fryer. We’ve settled upon it as the best option on the market when it comes to frying chips.
- 3.5L capacity, which can cook around 5 average portions of chips simultaneously (aroound 1.2kg of food in total).
- Easy oil removal and cleaning functions – fully dismantleable to make washing simple.
- Digital timer to ensure you don’t over or undercook food.
- Lid with a window panel so you can keep an eye on your food to ensure it’s cooking perfectly.
- Automatic oil filtration system that waits until fryer contents have cooled down before filtering, which helps keep your oil clean and reuseable many times.
- Effective odor filter reduces the various smells of cooking for a more comfortable experience.
- Advanced heating system keeps the cooked foods from absorbing too much oil, leading to crispier and healthier results!
- Prone to occasional oil leakage around the plastic container at the bottom.
- Fairly expensive for a domestic fryer.
Due to its smart filtration system which means much better oil reusability, it’s large capacity, fantastic temperature control settings and the ease with which it can be cleaned, the Tefal Oleoclean Pro is our top pick of the deep fat fryers for chips. See our other selections below.CHECK THE PRICE HERE
The Mid-Range Option
Venga! VG FT 3012
At a slightly lower price point than the Tefal, the Venga! VG FT 3012 is a brilliant mid-range fryer with a sleek stainless steel design. Not only will it look good in your kitchen, it is also a fantastic contender for cooking chips.
- Capacity of 3L oil.
- A large machine at around 13cm width, 26cm length, 8cm depth.
- Cooking window on the lid to help you keep an eye on your food.
- Filtration system that allows you to reuse oil multiple times before it needs disposing of.
- More affordable than the Tefal.
- Heats up very quickly, so you won’t have to wait long before cooking your chips.
- Sturdy design – the fryer both looks and feels well-made.
- Whilst the capacity of 3L is large, the food basket is fairly small and can only really fit a maximum of three portions comfortably.
- No ON/OFF switch, only a temperature knob that adjusts the heat when turned. This means that users must be extra careful when handling the machine to make sure it is switched off after use.
With a lower price than the Tefal, this is a great option for those looking for a more affordable heavy hitter than the leading brand. Boasting a great filtration system comparable to the one in our top pick, this is a fantastically efficient option for cooking chips. Although its lower food capacity may mean that cooking for larger groups of people might take longer, the speed at which the fryer heats oil makes up for this shortcoming.CHECK THE PRICE HERE
The Best on a Budget
Tower Easy Clean Deep Fryer
Not everyone can afford the leading brand of deep fryer, of course. Many people might be looking for an option that balances functionality with the lowest price possible. The Tower Easy Clean is a fantastic and affordable deep fryer that impresses, despite it’s slim cost.
- 3L capacity means it can fit around two portions of food in at once.
- Well-made, with durable components.
- Attractive design.
- Easily-adjustable temperature for cooking control.
- Price. This is undeniably the most cost-efficient fryer on the market, perfect for casual chefs who only deep fry occasionally.
- Changeable and efficient carbon filter that will banish strong cooking oil smells during cleanup.
- Incredibly easy to dismantle and clean each component part – earning the ‘easy clean’ title.
- You can lift the frying basket out of the oil without removing the lid, for added safety.
- The window panel on the lid stays clear despite the heat of food cooking beneath it, making it very easy to keep an eye on your food.
- Not as efficient as other fryers, though this is to be expected considering the price.
- Requires a lot of oil to function effectively, with only enough food capacity for around two portions at once.
- No oil filtration system, unlike the other products listed in this article.
Despite performing slightly less impressively than the other products listed above, the Tower Easy Clean is a versatile and efficient fryer for a much lower price than its competitors. The deep fat fryer isn’t the most common domestic kitchen appliance, so if you’re looking for a starter option or a fryer you’re only going to use on occasion, it may be worth considering this affordable offering.CHECK THE PRICE HERE